Primitive Art in Egypt (Classic Reprint)
CHEAP,Discount,Buy,Sale,Bestsellers,Good,For,REVIEW, Primitive Art in Egypt (Classic Reprint),Wholesale,Promotions,Shopping,Shipping,Primitive Art in Egypt (Classic Reprint),BestSelling,Off,Savings,Gifts,Cool,Hot,Top,Sellers,Overview,Specifications,Feature,on sale,Primitive Art in Egypt (Classic Reprint) Primitive Art in Egypt (Classic Reprint)
Primitive Art in Egypt (Classic Reprint) Overview
THIS book made its first appearance In the form of a series of articles in thc A 1l11afes de fa Son"/tl d'A rclllol(~flC dc Bruxelfcs, 'ols, X "I I.-X"I 11. , 1903--1-. In :Tarch 1904 it was published as a separate volume. without any modification of the text. I have bcen much gratified by the offer of lIessrs. H. Grevel &: Co. to issue an English translation of a revised and enlarged edition. In this way my book will naturally be brought before that public which is perhaps most prepared both to receive and to criticise it. The works of English ethnologists, more especially of Lubbock. Tylor, Lang, Haddon. Frazer, Spencer, and Gillen. ,verc the first to draw attention to a whole series of problems of thc grcatest importance for a study of the origin of A.rt. In submitting my work to the English-speaking public, am aware that th()s(~ puints which ensured its originality for the French public may perhaps give the book thc appearance of
Table of Contents
ArALYTICAL TABLE OF CO:,TE~TS; CHAPTER I PREID!I!"'RY CO~~II)ERT1(),~; CHPTER II l'ERSO,AI AVOR:OOIE'T; Painting the Body; Painting the Eyes; Tattooing; Mutilations; The Hair; Combs and Pins; ,ig~; Beards; Face·veils; Ornaments; Shells; Beads; Pendants; Bracdets; Rings; Clothing; Girdl(·s; Tail; Kamata; Animal's Skin; loin-clolh; "bntle; CIII'TER III OR!"'A~IE~TAI A~I' Ih:coRYlln: ,RT; Generalities; 21; 21; 35; Transformation of a Katural I ksign intu a (;c·"mdril·al I J,:,ign ('0; Designs derived from Te-lll1ique 1>3; Transformation of a llseful Ohject into an Ornament I>~'; 1; XII ANALYTICAL TABLE OF CO~TEXTS; CHAPTER I II (roil/lulled); Object of Decoration; Art ; Information; Luxury and Power; Religion and Magic; Knives; Spoons; Combs; Pins; Pendants; Palettes ; Incised Palettes; Maces and Sceptres; Stone Vases; Skeuomorphic Decorations; Human Decora